Kitchen Remodel: Herringbone Subway Tile and Stainless Steel Appliances

Finally, my favorite part of our kitchen remodel: the subway tile backsplash in a herringbone pattern! Since we decided to lay a more complicated pattern, we measured the dimensions of the first strip of wall and laid out the tile in the pattern on the countertop and made cuts where needed. Here is my father-in-law getting the pattern laid out, and then beginning to adhere the tile to the wall with mortar:

After two full days of cutting tile and adhering it to the wall, the following weekend we filled it in with a sand-based grout. 

Here's the final pattern:

I'm absolutely in love with how it turned out! It's classic but yet so fun and interesting. I could stare at it for hours!

You'll also notice the classy stainless steel appliances my in-laws gifted us with for our birthdays! Phil is absolutely over-the-moon about our new induction cooktop stove. And I'm totally digging the second oven down below. At first I thought it was just a typical drawer. Surprise to me! We also purchased the integrated panel dishwasher from Ikea. You can see it to the right of the sink. I love that it just looks like another cupboard!


The corner tile around the window ended up being a last minute addition, but I'm so glad we went with it! It has such an elegant curve to it and perfectly finishes off the edge. Gorgeous!





I have one more reveal to share you of our adorable little breakfast nook, and our latest DIY makeover on those stools you see above! Coming soon! A huge thanks to my amazing in-laws, Kent and Barb, for all your help on the tile! We couldn't have done it without you! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Holmfamily  – (February 25, 2011 at 5:18 AM)  

It's beautiful! What a transformation!

alan and steph  – (February 25, 2011 at 6:23 AM)  

LOVE it!! It looks so good! AND - I love the bottle of Layer Cake in the corner ;)

Perfectly Jenn  – (February 25, 2011 at 6:42 AM)  

I am in love with your kitchen! the sink, the dishwasher, stove, fridge, backsplash, countertops and cabinets are all amazing! Very beautiful and just so you know, I'm stealing a photo for my idea file. One day when I'm able to redo my kitchen I would love to make it look as great as yours. Great job!

Amanda  – (February 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM)  

So you already know that I ADORE your kitchen, as I've told you in person every flipping time I step foot in it (which seems like a weekly basis)... BUT it never hurts to see it written in comment form. Love love love what you guys did and am super jealous! But I do think you should have taken some pics of the "beer explosion" and its aftermath to add to this little package lol :)

Love you girl!

tamifoulger  – (June 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM)  

Hi,
I love your backsplash. I'm ready to tile mine and have decided on the herringbone pattern! I was wondering what tile you used. It looks like ceramic. I was going to go with Daltile Rittenhouse. Also how big is your grout line?
Thanks!!

Laura  – (June 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM)  

Hi Tami! We used the basic 3"x6" white ceramic tile from Home Depot. The tile is zero set, so we butted the tiles right up to each other. We figured it would be pretty difficult to get consistent spacing any other way given the pattern. There's just a little bit of space between them depending on placement and fit, which we filled in with a sand-based grout. Would love to see photos when you've finished tiling! Good luck!

tamifoulger  – (June 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM)  

That was quick! Thanks. I think we figured you didn't use a spacer. My tile guy is beginning to make cuts as we speak.Yea!! The tile from home depot is the same as the Daltile Rittenhouse they just don't call it that...not sure why? I looked at other handmade tile but for the cost it's hard to justify going with something that basically gives you the look. I think the pattern is what makes it feel fresh and different. I will send you photos as soon as we complete the project. Thanks again for getting back to me!

ariley  – (July 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM)  

Love this pattern... this is exactly what I've been looking for and am going to go for it in my kitchen! :) One question - do you have pics of what you did to the barstools? I have the same dilemma and am trying to figure out if I should tackle it myself... thanks!

Melanie Arsenault  – (October 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM)  

I found your kitchen googling herringbone tile. Your kitchen is just gorgeous and you've sold me that herringbone subway tile is the way to go.

Joseph P.  – (October 18, 2011 at 2:51 AM)  

There are plenty of diverse suggestions on tips on how to decorate a kitchen but all of the ideals revolve round 1 material and which is kitchen tiles.


Kitchen Benchtops

Kitchen Remodel Idea Tips anda Guide  – (December 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM)  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fiona  – (March 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM)  

Late to the party, since I just discovered your blog, but your kitchen is gorgeous! What type of induction range did you get, and are you happy with it?

Lindsey V.  – (May 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM)  

I'm late to the party, too, but curious what color grout you used? Thanks!

Jeff  – (May 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM)  

Laura, what color grout did you use for the backsplash? We've been struggling to find a gray but not-too-gray color for ours!

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating  – (October 15, 2012 at 7:22 AM)  

So glad I found your post today! I was looking for examples of subway tile in a herringbone pattern, and yours is a beautiful example. I shared it in my post today on Addicted 2 Decorating. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Laura  – (October 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM)  

The grout I believe was a basic white. Our induction stove is by Electrolux, and we love it!

Catchtanya  – (January 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM)  

Have you thought about painting the base of the island black or trim it to add interest and then paint? I think it would help to balance out the black in your space. I am in LOVE with your backsplash idea!

Unknown  – (April 9, 2013 at 4:50 AM)  

Nice article and great knowledge. Thanks for the share. I love this story and enjoy with your words!

subway tile

Bonnie  – (March 8, 2014 at 10:45 PM)  

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if you put the corner tile on OVER the tile or cut around it... thanks :)

Post a Comment


About This Blog

Two newlywed's adventures in home renovations, traveling and experiencing life together.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP