Don't Indulge in Anger

"...Anger is not an emotion I will allow myself to indulge in." said Hugh McCutcheon after the stabbing death of his father-in-law, Todd Bachman, at the Beijing Olympics. This statement has repeated itself in my mind many times over the last few days. How do you not indulge in anger? When someone takes credit for your work? After someone you once loved takes nearly everything you ever owned? When half of a double-wide driving down the interstate takes up two lanes and the car in front of you in the only other lane is driving 55?!?

The worst part of my anger is that I hold it inside, and let it eat me alive. So I can understand Hugh's statement, because my anger hurts no one but myself. So what's the point? There is none. But how do you NOT indulge in anger? I try to stuff it down and distract myself, but it always resurfaces. I try to talk it through, but it only gets me more worked up, and I don't want to be a person who is constantly spewing negative thoughts. Unfortunately, I think our society somewhat encourages this anger. "An eye for an eye." We let our emotions direct our actions. But I want to be the exception to this, like Hugh, because anger only leads to evil. But again the question... How?

The only thing I can come up with is prayer. Because I can't do this myself, I can't change my emotions. But my God is bigger than me. He alone can make me "slow to anger and abounding in love." Because ultimately, it's not about the person who wronged me. My anger consumes me alone. And I refuse to be consumed by anger. So I'll pray. That God will change my heart. That he'll make me quick to forgive. That I can live a life full of joy rather than anger.

"For man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1:20

Holmfamily  – (August 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM)  

i completely agree with everything that you wrote about anger! thanks for your insight!

Post a Comment


About This Blog

Two newlywed's adventures in home renovations, traveling and experiencing life together.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP